Last week at the MTC

Well this will be the last email from the MTC. Last Saturday I got my flight plans! Good news, I am still going to Panama. Whew, I mean I was expecting it to say, Ohh yeah you had a last minute change and you are actually supposed to stay here for another month and you're going to Antarctica. 

I think I am finally running a mile again back at a decent pace. And the push-ups have gotten easier. And I have found one of my socks which is exciting. 

Last P-day we all went out and got a box of Mike and Ike's and played Poker. It was really fun. I think Elder Hollander was winning most of the game, but in the last hand of the game we put in everything, because we had a meeting. I decided this hand of course, had to be my Maverick hand. The hand where I wasn't going to look at my cards the entire round. And it came down to the river and I realized oh man, there is absolutely nothing here. Unless I have a six and I can pull a straight. Well I flipped over my cards. I had two sixes. And ended the game on that note. but yeah my poker face needs work.

There is a big importance of reading your scriptures daily, and I have been blessed by doing so here. However, when talking to our investigator it was troubling that she wasn't reading what we gave her. So on the second time she didn't read the assignment, we read it with her in our lesson. It was touching. That was the entire lesson. Just us reading the scriptures. But I mean honestly, that's all a lesson has to be. The scriptures were written for by prophets of old for our day now. They are for us to use to come closer to God. Motivate us. Help us in times of need. And just let us gain a knowledge of our plan here in this life, and the life to come.

Mormon 8:35 
Behold, I speak unto you as if ye were present, and yet ye are not. But behold, Jesus Christ hath shown you unto me, and I know your doing.
Mormon 9:8
Behold I say unto you, he that denieth these things knoweth not the gospel of Christ; yet, he has not read the scriptures; if so, he does not understand them

We later in the week had our last lesson and we decided that it was probably best to talk about the Word of Wisdom. Now the Word of Wisdom for those of you who don't know we treat similar to the 10 commandments. Its a set of guidelines in our life to keep our bodies healthy and strong. It was revealed to us by the Prophet Joseph Smith. It asks us to refrain away from addictive substances like tobacco, illegal drugs, coffee, or tea. It asks us to get in daily exercise and eat healthy. However, many people aren't too excited when they hear if they want to be worthy to be baptized that they have to give up coffee. Well the same thing happened this week. And my companion and I handled it in the best way I could think of. We asked her if she believed in the scriptures were from God. And she said yes. And then we asked her if she believed Joseph Smith translated them and she said yes, there is no way he could have written them. And then we asked, do you believe Joseph Smith was a prophet of God and that prophets can receive revelation for our day. Then she saw where we were going, and said yes. And then we asked do you believe that the Word of Wisdom is from God and given through revelation through the prophet Joseph Smith. She said yes, but she's going to have to work on giving up coffee. And so we promised that if she would pray she would get the energy she needs to understand the importance of the Word of Wisdom. Then we promised we would pray for her. And we have. It was really one of my favorite lessons so far.

I have made a bigger effort this week in speaking Spanish. Not just in the classroom, but everywhere. I can see my improvement. It is incredible how much I actually now feel somewhat confident with my Spanish. Don't get me wrong, I am in no way shape or form fluent. But I can understand a lot, and express a fair amount of what I want to express out loud with my words. And with what I don't know I have been learning how to use work around words to explain what I need. I mean to be fair, last week I did call my teachers feet her second pair of hands.. But I mean I'm learning.

This week we got new district of 2 Elders and 4 Sisters. I have been trying to make them feel welcome with our big zone. I make sure I'm talking with each and everyone of them. I make sure I invite them to sit with us during our meals. And most importantly, I still let them know anytime they key-card doesn't scan them in the first time it means they're being sent home early. Or that when they can't log into the email it's because they don't have enough faith. Our teacher, Brother Galbraith, tells us that on his mission that they had a saying for these types of jokes. Then they would hold there hand up to the center of there head in the shape of a lightning bolt and say "Rallà" or in English "lightning" as in don't stand next to a window cause you are about to be struct down for those low key sacrilegious jokes.

Oh on Sunday we have a little bit of down time. That is nice. This week for like and hour we watched old Mormon Messages. This is my personal favorite and we died laughing. Mr. Microchip. The other was just a cute one that I hold dear to my heart. The Fence. But that day we had a killer lesson on the history behind the American flag and the prophecy of America as recorded in the Book of Mormon. It was all going really well. Until, an elder who just so innocently slipped on his words misread this phrase, "and the gentiles will be released from captivity and bowed down before the Lord". Yeah I don't even have to explain what he said. We all busted up laughing. Like our branch presidency and even some of their wives were laughing. It was so funny that like five minutes later I looked up to see the branch presidents wife nudging him to stop laughing as she was still snickering. 

Oh it was my birthday this week. We had mission presidents in training come in to teach us. And because of that we lost exercise time. So I did get the opportunity to open my package early. But I didn't open any of the gifts until today. And let me tell you have I enjoyed the BBQ chips, the Dr. Pepper, and the licorice. It was what I was missing. But my birthday was a good day. It was very busy, 8 hours of lessons. And then we had meals, and we were supposed to fit in 3 hours of study.  I think we actually got close to doing that. However, in my studies I read in the Bible. It was the story of Samson. For all of you that don't know. Samson was essentially the Hercules of his time. Just incredibly strong man who turned to the Lord. It talks about how he slained thousands of men out of revenge. However, he didn't have the best choice in woman. And because of that he was taken by his enemies up into what I imagine to be a Pantheon and was just at the end of his life. With his last words being a prayer to Heavenly Father. He sacrificed himself by collapsing the pillars and killing 3,000 + wicked men. Yeah. Also he died at the age of 20. So other than questioning what I have been doing these 20 years, and then a little more questioning on what workouts he was doing, It was a really studious day which I loved. 

We saw a talk the other day that I loved about the Savior and his great sacrifice for us. Our savior prayed and asked if there was any other way to complete the Atonement, but there wasn't. The savior paid for all salvation. And it was difficult. So why would we ever think missionary work wouldn't be. Salvation is difficult. If it were easy Jesus Christ wouldn't have had to die for us. Missionary work is hard. But that's because Salvation is hard to achieve. As we struggle, remember the Savior has been there and he has experienced a lot worse then we ever will experience. But remember, we stand there side-by-side with him in his work.

Yesterday we had a devotional. Since all the apostles are here training the new missionaries we had 10 of them at the devotional. Elder Nelson and Elder Hales were the only two absent. But as the others entered the room you could just feel the spirit enter with them. It was such a powerful meeting. Elder Bednar spoke about it being the Martyrdom of Joseph Smith and about how we need to keep the words of Christ in our heart. Powerful. I also sang in the choir, where we sang Praise to the Man to those 10 apostles. That was so tender. I mean such a powerful song. And on the day of the death of Joseph Smith and everything. I loved it. I will keep that close to my heart. 

Thank you all for the nice birthday letters! That was really kind! Also I think that picture with the hats should be our Christmas card. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! That made me laugh so hard.


Our sub on her last day.
Poker Night with Mike & Ike's
Elder Hollander
Mission President who taught us at MTC