Big Man In A Little Bus

I have found it funny that at 5’10 I am actually considered tall here.  This has thrown me because I don’t’ feel any different in most situations. Normally, I’m sitting down when teaching, but there have been quite a few times when people have said, like wow you’re a giant. The only time I am really aware that I am taller is when we take public transportation. On the Diablo Rojos (local buses) usually, I see above everyone’s heads. If I’m standing, which is very rare that I’m not, I can see out the window of where we are.  The worst are the small speed coasters. Standing up in one of these buses I literally have to put my chin to my chest and the back of my head is touching the ceiling. I have wondered what some of the other taller elders do; I know of a few that are about 6’5. 

My companion, Elder Franco is from Guatemala and just turned 20 this last week. He genuinely is a dream companion. He is really good at keeping the lessons light-hearted and applicable to those we teach. He always invites everyone to listen to our lessons and never is afraid to push baptismal commitments. He is always ready to crack a joke or tell you a story. Even though he doesn’t speak English, he loves many English musicians and has a good taste in music. He is very kind, very motivating, and direct with me and the investigators. He is a hard worker and a great missionary. When I had my interview with President Current he said, “Your last companion was Elder Vela, and now your now with Elder Franco who are two really outstanding missionaries. The Lord has something for you in the future.” I don’t know if that was a good thing or this is preparatory. Either way, I am just enjoying this time!  I have laughed when Elder Franco talks with the zone leaders from Guatemala because he was a skater from the city and so he has just this personality that brings me back to the U.S. I hope that I don’t get transferred somewhere else because we have work to get done!
This week we had another set of divisions con Puerto Pillon and later went out with the Zone Leaders. With being in all the different areas and baptismal interviews taking place, I gained a new-found respect for Zone Leaders. They have no time at all and are running around everywhere, especially in areas where they baptize a lot. This week was just running around to different areas with my stomach sloshing along with me. It was feeling a little upset this week, but it's better now.

The weirdest thing happened this week. We were walking down the street when a guy in a taxi hauled to a stop and pulled over towards us. We realized he was coming from Puerto Beulo, a national park or tourist site. So of course, we were a little hesitant. They had their celebration of Black Jesus that day when people walked miles with crosses and models of Black Jesus. I don't know what went on there, but I'm sure it was something of a party. However, the man rolled down the window and stuck out his arm yelling, “Hey I'm from Utah! Where are you from and how is the work going here Brothers.” It was all in English and my mind froze. What did he say? I didn't recognize what he said. It took me a minute to flip the switch that he wasn't speaking Spanish. But my mind was so frazzled. I said, “Oh, I'm from California, my Comp is from Guatemala and the work is fantastic.” and then he took off. 

I wish I could have told him everything. Yeah, we were just walking back from a baptismal service. This mission less than a year ago wasn't making as much progress and now we are baptizing hundreds each month. We are working hard and here in the mission have converted many different cultures, statuses, and races. We are relying on the spirit to lead us, and as we listen to his voice we are finding people who have been prepared to be baptized. We have a strong missionary force and an excellent mission president. As missionaries, we are striving to be obedient in all things and at all times to prepare the way for the Spirit. We are breaking records here in Panama. More importantly, we are bringing people unto Christ. There are so many people who have converted and changed their lives for the better here and nothing brings me more joy than when you get the opportunity to see someone who has changed their life and genuinely wants to make the covenant with their Eternal Father in the waters of baptism. 

So yeah, while I only muttered a few words, I hope that at the very least he will look up what the work is like to know that the work here is incredible. It doesn't just have to be in Panama, success comes when we are obedient to the Laws and Commandments of God, the Prophets, and Apostles. But how grateful I am to be in Panama in this moment as a missionary. It is truly a blessing.


Elder Irizarry