One Year

"It's been One year since you looked at me. Threw your arms in the air and said I'm crazy. About five months since you talked me, I can't wait to call back, I hope soon, please. Three days since the Interview, I've realized it's not been too long, nor a moment too soon. Yesterday you forgotten me, But I've still got one year to finish, Oh Golly."
Yup, Peace, Chao. I've hit one year and as a present, I'm taking the week off a writing. See you in a week. Nah, Bromas. Did I just throw in a Barenaked Ladies reference? Absolutely! I am proud of that? Yup! Do I have regrets? Only that I didn't go out and eat Chinese chicken.
So what happened this week? Well firstly, I don't know if you remember, but every 45 days we have an interview with President Current. Normally because we are out in the boonies we have to travel five hours on a bus to David. Well, normally he just puts the conference and the interviews together, but something fell through the last time. So, for the second time this month we got to go down to David! That’s like 10 hours in a bus, without traffic. But I always love interviews with President Current! I always end up learning so much. This time we talked a little bit and I learned what I needed to do to as he says, not just finish your mission, but get your Master’s degree. So, I'm excited to make this next year even better than the first.

We had divisions and I went off with Elder Daffer in our area. I actually learned quite a lot from him. He teaches with a lot of energy and so that has recently rubbed off on me and I'm loving it.


I finally met Elder and Sister Johnson the Senor couple. They are amazing! But they are in charge of finances and housing. And well, they gave us the award for the hottest house they've been too. Woo!! 

As a tradition here in the mission, I burnt my completed one year mark shirt!! However, it was the same night we were traveling to David. My companion and I slept the night at Elder Daffer and Elder Hernandez house. We beat them home and we knew how to get in so we are anxiously waiting for them to get home for around ten minutes. I felt like a kid on Christmas night man. We surprised them and then we set everything up. I lite up my shirt on fire while spinning my shirt in the air and dancing around like it was a party. Out of nowhere my shirt gets caught. Surprised, I look up and well... I accidentally set their clothesline on fire. We all just sit there as it lite up like the introduction to a James Bond movie and then caught a part of their ceiling on fire. (Luckily, there was no explosion). We ran frantically to put it all out. I'm beating it with a plank my comp runs in for water, but we're in Bocas where there isn't good water pressure so it takes a while for the water to fill up. We did get it all taken care of, thankfully. Phew nothing bad happened. The house is still good, nobody died and we were able to go to sleep peacefully. Then the next morning we woke up at two in the morning to leave in this bus and I went to go looking in my bag for a shirt. Not just a shirt for your normal day. No, a shirt for my interview with the President of the Mission... And yeah, I left it on the desk. I burnt the only shirt I brought to have interviews with President. Luckily they had a spare one.

So...how am I doing after one year?  Well, I don't have time to write all that but I will give you a brief overview. 

Physically- My legs are whiter and my arms and face are significantly tanner. I have lost all of the callouses on my hands and now have them on my feet. I have a weird addiction to rice and don't feel full unless I eat a little bit. 

Socially- I have recently gotten to be rather social. Before I had a side of me that was a little more reserved. I use to hold back my thoughts and only said them when I needed to. I was only open when I felt comfortable. But being put in a foreign country when you have to learn a new language kind of opens you up. Also being a missionary makes you talk. As my confidence grew I became more open with strangers and in Spanish. As of only the past few months I have been able to open up a really exciting and new side of me.

Emotionally- I have been torn emotionally quite a few times. It is rough when you are doing everything you should be and are going the extra mile and things still don't go your way.  I have had my share of people who want to get baptized, but at the last minute their parents change their minds, or they get afraid of commitment, or just remember they don't like water. I have learned how to make sacrifices and how to turn to the Lord for comfort.

Intellectually- Well, my Spanish has improved drastically since day one, but there is always room for improvement. I have found that as I put confidence in my Spanish people seem to listen more. I have as of this month been taking my scripture study to a new level. I have never enjoyed reading the scriptures more as I study them, treasure up their meaning, and see how their message applies to my life and the life of my investigators. I know I have like the worst memory in all the world. But as I pray and study the scriptures I am finding that I remember them in times of need.

Spiritually- I have learned how to act on the promptings of the spirit, aun mas then before. I have never felt more of a need to be closer to the Lord or receive his revelation. Beforehand I relied on him, but almost in an obligatory way. Like I was only turning to pray and receive answers when I needed them and then less so looking for direction when my life was fine. It was almost as if I was praying, because my parents taught me or because the scriptures tell us so. I am learning currently how to receive personal revelation. Not just for my problems, but for also the smaller aspects of my life and as I am obedient and seek diligently, I receive what I need.

I mean as a missionary I have improved tenfold, but I still have a lot left to learn and not nearly enough time as I want. I'm very grateful for this time I have had in the mission. I honestly, don't know what type of person I would have become without these life-changing experiences. This is something I will treasure for the rest of my life. And something I will never take back.