The Name Game

Some of the Kuna names are ridiculously hard to pronounce. The recent convert list in the ward includes normal names like Manuel, Ronny, and Aaron and then comes the more traditional Kuna names like Yaiginio, Diogenes, Ilasob, Wiguiguiña, Niniquiler, Tumineley, Nodab, Kaplueir, and Kankibe; just to share a few.

Right now, we are teaching Anigkibaler who is 15 and will be getting baptized on Wednesday. Griseida has not been to church for a while and so we are hoping that she will accept baptism. Aneida is the mother of a recent convert that we happen to be working with as well as two other families. Surprisingly, with how small this island is, we still seem to find new people to teach all the time. 


This week I have been craving hojaldres (a Panamanian fried bread that’s similar to fried dough, but is usually eaten at breakfast time). There is a guy that sells them every day and every time I have gone out looking for him this week, he has already come and gone. Finally, I found him after I booked it outside and chased him down. I threw some Nutella on top of it and it just made my day. It tasted like a donut-like pastry. 

Waiting to get a hojaldres all week long, reminded me to be patient. Just like with the families we are teaching, it is all in the right timing. As we continue to show faith in God, he grants us the ability to find new people and open their hearts, which always leads to great things.

On a funny note, on the island this week, there was a grand clamor as a group of people was praying in public. Apparently, during this prayer meeting, someone ended up giving birth, so the tribe leaders decided that this time it was okay to have had a public prayer.  The successful birth was due to having strong prayers.

As a side note, I have decided that when I do finish my mission and head back to the states, I will bring back with me many great new traditions I have learned from living on an island. I plan to stay in an apartment that will allow me to sleep in a hammock, have a pet iguana and have sand (or dirt) covered bedroom floors. I hope that this will be okay with my new roommates.