Growing My Testimony & Hair

To keep you updated, Russel M. Nelson is now the active and living prophet. He is 93 years old, but still kicking and as lively as can be. I have not heard much else about the new members of the apostles, but I'll keep you updated on that as well. However, it was really cool this week for the first time we taught someone about the restoration and prophets where I got to talk about Russel M. Nelson. I had no doubt in my mind that Russel M. Nelson is the current prophet called by God. When we taught it the spirit flooded the room and testified to me, my companion, and most importantly, our investigator that Russel M. Nelson is, in fact, a living prophet of God called to this time to receive revelation and direct the people of Zion. It was so powerful and I am so thankful for the experience.

We had divisions this week, but this time I was with Elder Kuhn from my district in the MTC. Was that the best! He is such a cool guy and such a good missionary. I saw that we both have improved significantly from the MTC and that we both have learned and adapted from the different experiences put in front of us. As we worked together with our different talents and abilities it went so smoothly. We had lessons after lessons where you just felt the strength of the Spirit in the room. It went by so fast. It didn’t even feel like work. We talked about everything. I would love to be his companion one day in the future. Let’s hope I get that lucky. I learned quite a bit from him in just that one day. I realized how much I actually knew and that I really learned quite a lot from past Elders. It was actually such a blessing. 
At the high point in our day, we got to teach a recently baptized Kuna, who I had met before. But Elder Kuhn asked me if I had a scripture that I could share with her. I shared one of my favorite scripture stories in the Book of Mormon, Ether 6:1-12. It was a favorite scripture shared by our teacher to both of us in the MTC and soon after became my favorite. If I ever feel down, If I ever feel like I'm not doing well, or that that life is hard I turn to this scripture. It teaches us that these ancient people had followed the commandments of God to build boats and travel to the Americas. They sat in the boats just waiting to get to the Americas for nearly a year. They didn’t have a whole lot to do, but sit there in boredom in these air-tight cells and wait as many times, the waves were strong and heavy and pushed their boats completely under the water. But the entire time they didn't complain. They sang songs and praises to the Lord and accordingly, the Lord blessed them. At last, when they got to the Promised Land they humbled themselves before the Lord for the strong blessings they had received. What a strong spirit that was with us when we taught. You could cut it with a knife. I felt an impression to read this scripture and it was exactly what this woman needed to hear. 

At last! We finally had a baptism. No, it’s not who you may be thinking. It was a 10-year-old girl named Kate. Their family was inactive and we've been working to get them back to church. Kate has recently been very sick and in the past few weeks, she has gotten better after a doctor’s visit. After working for a while we finally prepared her for baptism. Now before the baptism, there is always a small interview which we can't interview our own investigators for security reasons, so other Elders need to come for the interview. At the end of the interview, we asked her who she would like to baptize her: Elder Arriaga, Yo, or as a joke Elder Sierra (the companion of the other missionary). She said, "I don’t care, I just want to get baptized". And so Elder Arriaga and I both said, "Look, Elder Sierra has about 1 month here and hasn’t ever baptized anyone." She chose him. Now that meant he had to take a one-hour bus to where we are, but he had his first baptism! And most importantly, she was baptized. The family is in a very humble circumstance was open-minded about going back to the church and motivated to baptize their youngest. Just like we read in Alma 24:27 "...The Lord worketh in many ways to the salvation of his people". What a blessing was it to see their family receive the blessing from turning to the Lord in a time of struggle.
Speaking of struggle, With divisions, we went to the house of a broken family who wasn’t raised with the same principles I was raised with. The youngest daughter was recently baptized, but struggles to feel the spirit with the environment she has been placed in. What a wonderful opportunity it was to read her the Book of Mormon. This book has the answer to all of my troubles and is the source of my joy. This book gives us the strength to get through the hard trials in this world. This book will bring you closer to God and strengthen your personal relationship with him. If you have not had the chance to read a copy they have a digital pair online at LDS.org. If you haven’t read them recently, I encourage you to do so. It will change your life as you study this divine gift regularly. Of these things, I testify in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Until Next week,
Elder Irizarry

Oh P.S., Our neighbor Short, the one who took us on the tour to the waterfall and who normally is in Aldea with us and who gave me this haircut..., finally got his mission call. He's going to Cobón, Guatemala. We are so excited for him and hope he won't freeze to death. He already has such a great headstart from going out with us so many times. He will make a good missionary. Good Luck, Elder Short, You'll do great. And Cobón, prepare yourself for this Loco.