Season of Thanks


Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! I hope that you all enjoyed the turkey and mashed potatoes. I hope you had an opportunity to remember all the good things that have happened in your lives as well. Panama does not celebrate Thanksgiving and my companion was curious what this holiday was all about. I was able to share with him the history of Thanksgiving. I talked about the Pilgrims and the Mayflower. I explained why it was such a big deal for the Pilgrims and how Thanksgiving is in honor and memory of the great gift from the Native Americans. I explained the traditions associated with how at dinner everyone goes around the table and says what they are thankful for. How people prepare food as early as the night before and then sneak food but try not to eat much all that morning to make room for the feast later on that day. I shared some of our families’ traditions, like watching the Macys Thanksgiving Day Parade. Having Thanksgiving Lunch and leftovers for dinner, and later on in the day watching a movie or a football game, heading out to a park to play soccer or staying inside to play a board game. Our family finds that if you take a nap in the afternoon it is especially helpful if you enjoy the rush of Black Friday shopping. It was really cool to relive all my old Thanksgiving Day memories by sharing them with Elder Arriaga. 

Thursday, we had many of our appointments fail. I think we actually broke our record and hit fourteen appointments who canceled or just weren't home. We found a lot of time to walk around the streets and talk about what we thankful for like our investigators who are progressing, this beautiful weather and our unique mission. We went on and on throughout the day. Similarly, to Thanksgiving, we didn't each much during the day. We actually both fasted until dinner and luckily were fed by Hermana Chiru. Her food is always a highlight of our week when we eat at her home. When she cooks, she cooks for the family and all the extended family in the four neighboring houses nearby. She made us a Cordon Blue with rice and salad. REAL SALAD. I had a real salad for the first time here. Thanksgiving was just a good day. It just brings such a strong spirit and family bond that prepares you for Christmas. 

Last Tuesday I went on divisions with the Zone Leaders and the weirdest things happened. First, we stopped at a sister’s house for lunch, she happened to be a return missionary from Los Angeles, California. We had such a great time talking with her, then we met a person who recently was moved to Panama who didn't speak much Spanish. I was able to teach my first lesson in English which was so cool! When we were leaving we ran into Michelle Morris who is the cousin of Brian, who we baptized last month. They used to live in the same house, but she and her mom moved. Oddly enough, she moved into the area of the Zone Leaders. When we were leaving her daughter ran at me full speed, well as fast as a 10-year-old Kuna girl can run with a backpack filled with books flopping around. The entire time screaming "Mama it's Igi Sugi!," as she jumped to give me a bear hug. That made my entire week. They refused to let us leave until Elder Cruz the Zone Leader set a time for me to come back and visit them. It just felt like I was supposed to be there. The last thing that was surprising was when we were walking in the street as someone started blasting their music which is normal here in Panama. The great part was that is that is was Christmas music. My mind froze and as I thought about how it seemed like my family and I had just celebrated Christmas. I could not believe that a year has gone by so quickly.  

Recently, the weather here has been really nice. It has not been any hotter than 80 degrees.  It has reminded me of a California weather. I have adapted to the weather here and at times have been surprised that it feels like they need to turn down the AC at church. As Christmas is right around the corner, I have come to accept that it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas in a tropical sense. 

President Current switches companions up all the time and we have the possibility of changing the week before Christmas. I love this area, and Elder Arriaga is cool. It will be interesting to see what happens. If I do end up moving I know that it is all good. 

I gave a talk in church this Sunday and it that was pretty funny how awful it actually was. I prepared scriptures, quotes, and wrote bullet points with what I wanted to share. It was about missionary work and it was about 70% love 30% machete. I little overkill, but it was going to be perfect. Normally, I get a little nervous speaking in front of big groups, but nothing bad. However, this last week I don't know what happened. I got up there and my mind just freaked out. So, as you can imagine my Spanish wasn't very good and I forgot where I was going, so my mind freaked out and my Spanish went haywire. I was glad that the microphone was having troubles, and so hopefully they didn't have to hear it. Oh well, another thing I can be thankful for this week.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who has brought me wonderful memories that I cherish about this time of the year. Reliving the Thanksgiving Spirit was pretty magical. 

I love you all,

Elder Irizarry